Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Gaming: not just the video kind.

As a Teen Librarian, I feel it's my duty to do more than feed my teens books. I want them to feel comfortable in the library - comfortable being themselves. So I remembered when my brother was a teenager and he used to love Yu Gi Oh (it's a card game). He had a hard time getting people together to play him, and a lot of kids his age thought it was nerdy and wouldn't give it a try. So I thought, hey, why not start a Yu Gi Oh club at the library. Get some cool, older guys to mentor and teach younger players about the game. Provide another outlet for my teens, and a safe one at that. The first meeting, only one player showed up. At the next one there were 9. Word is spreading, and now I hear the younger ones bragging about the older ones, and really getting into it. Teens who had given up on the game because they had no one to play are now talking to their older counterparts and getting advice about building up their decks. It's a great thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment